National Data Repository (NDR)
Government of India in envisaging on an ambitious project to set up a National Knowledge Hub (NKH) alternatively called as National Knowledge Centre (NKC) in E&P area in coming few years. The components of NKH/NKC will be
- National Data Repository
- National Processing Centre
- National Visualization & Application Centre
- National Training Centre
- National E&P Knowledge Portal
NDR is a turnkey project on Build, Populate and Operate basis. Below are the data classes of NDR:
- Seismic Data
- Well & Log Data
- Spatial Data
- Other G&G data like Drilling, Reservoir, Production, Geological, Gravity & Magnetic
- Reports and Documents
Objective/Goals of National Data Repository (NDR):
The main objective is to setup National Data Repository of reliable exploration and production data for India with provisions for seamless access and on-line data management. Specific goals are:
- To validate, store, maintain and reproduce high quality and reliable geoscientific data
- To facilitate efficient data reporting, data exchange, and data trading among existing players including all geoscientific agencies
- To improve DGH’s ability to monitor and control the E&P activities and reporting
- To encourage new E & P activities by providing high quality and reliable data
- To strengthen overall geoscientific activities in India
- To support an open acreage system for an improved Global E & P Business environment in India
- To provide quality E & P data for Processing, Interpretation and Visualization Centres at DGH
NDR will primarily safeguard national E&P data asset and shall help and promote exploration and production activities in India. Besides, this will further streamline all associated procedures, policies and workflows pertaining to data submission, data cataloguing and data viewing, data retrieval and data trading for allconcerned quarters pertaining to E&P domain including stack holders, industries, government agencies, academia and research communities.
NDR will store and maintain hydrocarbon exploration & production data in a safe and reusable manner, in perpetuity. The data shall be preserved in accordance with generally accepted NDR standards, and made available to entitled users.
Having an NDR for India will enhance prospects of petroleum exploration and facilitate the Bidding Rounds by improving the availability of quality data. With this action, India will be joining the league of countries that have an NDR and can compete effectively in the hydrocarbon exploration and production sector. DGH now envisions a move beyond the NELP, towards “Open Acreage” approach with OALP.
- Engineers India Limited (EIL) has been appointed as Project Management Consultant for the NDR project.
- Notice inviting Tender to Build, Populate and Operate an NDR for India on a turnkey basis was floated on 1st November, 2013 as ICB under two-bid system with bid closing date on 20th December, 2013.
- A Pre-Bid meeting with prospective bidders was held on 15th November, 2013.
- A Pre-Tender Meeting was held on 12.10.2012 which was attended by M/S Schlumberger, Halliburton, Fugro, Geoleader India, IBM, Wipro, Oracle, CtrlS and few other parties.
- Clarifications on bidder’s queries and technical addendum were posted on 20th November, 2013.
- Bid closing date was 20.12.2014 and the Evaluation of the bids completed on 11.02.2014
- The contract has been awarded to M/S Halliburton on 03.03.2014
- E & P data has been loaded & is available on web browser.
About DGH’s Data Management Initiative:
It is widely accepted today that E&P dataset is essentially a national asset. This is quite true in view of the ever increasing technological advancement in the field of data processing, data interpretation etc. Even age-old E&P dataset might give new results in view of new technological infrastructure. That is why safeguarding national E&P data has become a prime area of focus for DGH recently.
Below is a brief account of different data classes available with DGH.
- Cultural Data
- Geological Data
- Petrophysical Data
- Seismic Data
- Well Data
- Production Data
- Reservoir Data
- Various Unstructured Data (Reports, Documents etc.)